Making the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie is Actually Pretty Simple
There is nothing better than a warm and perfectly cooked chocolate chip cookie. We asked Charlotte’s 300 East pastry chef Ashley Boyd what her go-to recipe is, and this was her answer. These cookies are soft in the middle and perfect for dunking!
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at cool room temperature
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for sprinkling
16 oz chocolate bars, chopped (Boyd likes a mix of dark and milk)
- In a stand mixer bowl (or handheld mixer), cream the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy. It should take about 3 minutes on medium speed. Scrape the bowl and beaters with a rubber spatula.
- Add the room temperature eggs one at a time, beating the batter after each until completely incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and beat again to incorporate. Scrape the bowl and beaters again.
- Combine the flours, salt and baking soda with a whisk, then add half to the batter. Blend in on low speed just until the flour mostly disappears, then add the remainder of the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Scrape bowl and beaters again.
- Finally, add the chopped chocolate and stir in by hand or mix on low until chocolate is evenly distributed.
- Scrape dough into a storage container and refrigerate overnight to hydrate the flour.
- When ready to bake, use a 1 oz. ice cream scoop to form balls of dough. Arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment at least 3 inches apart as they will spread. Flatten them slightly, sprinkle with a little extra salt if desired, and bake 6 minutes. Rotate the pan from front to back and bake another 6-10 minutes. Cookies should be a light golden brown around the edges, but just barely golden in the centers.
- Ovens vary, but this size cookie should take anywhere from 12 to 16 minutes to bake. Watch carefully and feel the middles. When the tops are dry and the cookies feel soft set remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
Now enjoy a perfect chocolate chip cookie!