Buttermilk Biscuits Made Simple
Buttermilk biscuits are the ultimate southern food. While there are many schools of thought on making them come out just right, we have a method we think is pretty much no-fail.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small dice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the baking pan.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Using fingertips or a pastry blender, rub 3/4 cup chilled butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and stir until evenly moistened.
- Fold dough flat (but not too flat).
- Using 1/4 cup dough for each biscuit, drop biscuits onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter, and let cool slightly.
Pair with our fried chicken thigh recipe to make the ultimate chicken biscuit sandwich!