Bite into a Slice of Healthy Pumpkin Pie
‘Tis the season for sugary, calorie-filled treats.
In fact, a single slice of traditional pumpkin pie can be filled with more than 400 calories.
Good news, though, you can still indulge this Thanksgiving without busting your diet.
Christine Jaegers, the fitness and wellness coordinator at the Osage Centre in Cape Girardeau, showed us a few ways to cut back.
This healthy pumpkin pie recipe has only 136 calories per slice.
Christine’s Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
4 Tbs unsalted butter, cold
2 tsp fat-free milk
1 tsp sugar-free maple syrup
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tbs ice cold water
1 can pumpkin puree
½ cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
½ cup skim milk
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ginger
1/8 tsp pepper
¼ cup sugar-free maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp liquid stevia
3 large egg whites beaten
1. Whisk together the flour and salt in medium bowl. Slice butter into small cubes and toss in flour. Using pastry cutter: cut in butter until form small crumbs.
2. Whisk together the milk and syrup and drizzle over flour. Mix together. Whisk together ice water and vinegar. Drizzle over flour. Mix together.
3. Continue to add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture forms into dough.
4. Transfer to dough onto plastic wrap and shape into a 4” wide circle. Cover with plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 30 min.
5. Roll out dough into 11” wide circle *roll out dough while in plastic wrap for easy cleanup. Gently press the dough into the pie plate and trim the overhang.
6. Line the center of pie with foil, top with pie weights (or dry rice/ beans). Bake for 15 min. Remove foil/ weights.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Stir together pumpkin and Greek yogurt in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
4. Stir milk mixture into pumpkin mixture. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and pepper.
5. Stir in syrup, vanilla, and stevia.
6. Gradually stir in egg whites until fully incorporated.
7. After baking the crust, pour filling into the crust. Bake pie at 350 degrees for 35-40 min. Cool completely and then chill pie for an additional 8 hours before serving.