Only true connoisseurs will know all of these.
Coca-Cola has been around for a very long time, but that doesn’t mean that everyone who drinks it is super familiar with the lengthy history of the soda.
Here are six facts you may not have known about Coke.
1. It was created to be a morphine alternative. An injured confederate colonel created it after the Civil War.
2. Cocaine wasn’t just the only eyebrow-raising ingredient. There was alcohol in the original recipe too.
3. All these years later, it still has coca leaf in it. But, not to worry, there isn’t even a trace of narcotics.
4. It was the same price for almost 75 years. From 1886 to 1959, you could get a bottle for 5 cents.
5. It was the first company to sponsor the Olympics (which happened almost 100 years ago in 1928).
6. The New Coke formula wasn’t a complete disaster. In fact, it beat original Coke AND Pepsi in blind taste tests.
Fun fact. If you ask a Southerner if they call a carbonated drink, most likely they’ll say Coke. And there’s a reason for that.
Since Coke was created and continues to be made in the South, it grew so popular that people just started substituting the name brand for all drinks.
And it’s not just us. According to this dialect map, the trend has spread to other parts of the country.
So what do you call it?